Jalpaiguri, 15th September: A woman lost her life after being bitten by a snake in the Rahut Bagan area of Jalpaiguri. The incident caused a stir in the area. The deceased has been identified as Ruma Bhawal.
Reportedly, Ruma was feeding her child at home on Tuesday afternoon, when she was bit by the snake. Following this, her family members called an ‘ojha’ to cure her. However, all efforts went to vain as the ‘ojha’ was unable to treat her.
The patient was then rushed to the Jalpaiguri Super Specialty Hospital where the doctors declared her dead.
Biswajit Dutta Chowdhury, an environmental activist from Jalpaiguri stated that he rushed to the hospital upon receiving the news of the tragic incident. It has been initially presumed that the woman died from the bite of a poisonous snake.
In many areas of India, people still believe that an 'ojha' can cure a snakebite case by chanting 'mantra' and using herbs. A similar incident had occurred 2 years ago, where a school student lost her life. Chowdhury further stated that awareness campaigns will be held in the area in this concern.