Mungpoo/Darjeeling, 21st March: Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) President Binay Tamang, while addressing a public gathering at Mungpoo today, announced the party's candidates for the upcoming assembly elections in West Bengal. Gorkhaland Territorial Administration (GTA) Chairman and party's General Secretary Anit Thapa was also present on the occasion.
As per the announcement, the party's spokesperson Keshav Raj Pokhrel will be contesting from the Darjeeling assembly constituency, Nari Morcha (women's wing) President Tshering Dahal (Lama) will be contesting from Kurseong while Ruden Sada Lepcha, party's Central Committee member, will be contesting from Kalimpong constituency.
Reportedly, the candidates will be filing their nomination papers on March 24 from their respective assembly constituency. Along with the announcement of their candidates, party president Binay Tamang also released their manifesto in which 52 key issues of Darjeeling hills have been highlighted.
Some of the main points mentioned in the manifesto:
The party has promised to provide land deeds to the people living in the tea gardens, Cinchona garden, and forest areas
- To increase the numbers of Sub Divisions under the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration (GTA) region
- To increase the number of Gram Panchayat and Panchayat Committee
- Construction of Darjeeling Hill University
- To affiliate all the government schools in the hills under the said university
- To provide job permanency to the temporary workers of GTA
- To establish a Degree College in Tindharia
- To commence the appointment of teachers in government schools
- To form the School Service Commission under GTA
- To promote rural tourism under the region
- To encourage and boost organic farming in the GTA region