Siliguri, 18th August: Tension erupted in the Dakshin Ektiasal market area of Siliguri on Tuesday morning over an alleged attempt to encroach on a road that local residents claim has been in use for several years.
According to local residents, a man named Santosh Gupta purchased the land a few years ago and later began construction of a multi-storey building on the property. Residents alleged that an approximately eight-foot-wide road had been in use for years even before the land was purchased. They claimed that the owner of the under-construction building is now asserting that a portion of the road falls within his private property.
Residents further alleged that written complaints regarding the matter had previously been submitted to Dabgram II Anchal and Ashighar Police Outpost. On Tuesday morning, tension arose when digging work allegedly began on the road in an attempt to take possession of the disputed portion.
Local residents staged a protest against the alleged encroachment. Police from Ashighar Police Outpost reached the spot after receiving information and stopped the work, bringing the situation under control.
Residents claimed that the road had existed and been used for a long time, adding that if it is blocked, even motorcycles would not be able to pass through. They also expressed concern that access could become a major problem during emergencies and raised questions over the approval of the building plan.
Santosh Gupta, the owner of the under-construction building, however, alleged that around three feet of his land had been forcibly taken during the previous Trinamool Congress government to create the road. He said the family had been unable to raise objections at the time and that the matter is currently sub judice. He added that the court’s decision would be final.
Dabgram II Anchal Pradhan Mitali Malakar said she had previously visited the site and stopped the work after receiving a complaint. She said she had asked the owner to produce all relevant documents and that a decision would be taken after verification of the records.
Malakar also acknowledged that local residents had been using the road for many years and said closing it would affect their movement.
