Darjeeling, 18th March: In order to control the rapid spread of COVID-19, the Chairman and authorities of Gorkhaland Territorial Administration (GTA) have appealed to the tourism sector stakeholders to stop taking the bookings for hotels and homestay, with immediate effect. They further highlighted the following points:
1. Stop taking the bookings for hotels and homestay starting immediately. There should be a ban on new tourists coming to the GTA region.
2. Avoid charging any Cancellation fees from the tourists.
3. An appeal is being made to all taxi owners and syndicates not to ferry any tourists to the GTA region.
4. Kindly suggest and allow the tourists to reschedule their travel plans if required
5. People must avoid traveling outside the GTA region unless it is urgent and critical
6. Please avoid gathering of more than 10 people and maintain a safe distance
7. For Restaurants, please maintain the hygiene and sanitize the place, if necessary
8. We instruct all the parents to utilize this time to engage children in extracurricular activities, online educations, new hobbies, etc. Times like these we need your support and understanding to educate your child on hygiene and cleanliness.
9. The Engineering department is working on spreading awareness among people in their designated regions
10. GTA is going to release a special awareness programme for the people residing in tea gardens and cinchona plantation.
11. Traders outside the GTA region will be banned to put up temporary shops in haat bazaar and in the hawkers market.
12. An appeal is made to all political parties and social organizations not to have political programs with mass gatherings.
13. Community halls and other halls owned by private clubs and organizations should restrict for giving their halls for lease for the social programme and social gatherings.